When I first started trying to eat healthier I found myself eating a lot of instant oatmeal. I loved it because it kept me full a lot longer than any other breakfast. What I began to not like about it was the processed aspects of eating this on the regular. Don't get me wrong, I still always have a box of Quaker Oats Weight Control Oatmeal in the cupboard for emergency meals. I'm not sure why I always assumed that making homemade oatmeal would have been challenging, but it really isn't. I make this version regularly and it kicks the pouch oatmeals tuchus.
Trail Mix Oatmeal:
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk (any kind or water will do)
- 1/2 Cup Oatmeal
- 1/4 Cup Trail Mix (any kind - my favorite has dark chocolate, dried cherries, and nuts)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon (you can add more or less)
- Heat the milk in a small pot.
- Add Oatmeal and reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes (I like a little liquid still in the pot)
- Add all of the fixin's and stir.
Its that simple. Basic oatmeal is a blank canvas so get crazy and make any flavor combo you like. Here are some of my other faves:
- Frozen Blueberries, Cinnamon and Walnuts
- Frozen Cherries and Vanilla Extract
- Peanut Butter and Jelly (Or any fruit I have on hand)
The Trail Mix version, according to my Lose It app, comes in at around 400 calories and almost 10 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber!! Let me know of any awesome flavors you enjoy.