What do I mean by high vibes? Thats a good question. I like to simplify it by equating it to a natural high. When I am vibrating at a high level I am feeling naturally high, feeling good. I'm not going to dive into the science of the actual vibrations that occur in our bodies here, but when you are feeling good you are considered to be vibrating at a higher level than when you're not feeling so good (angry, scared, anxious, depressed, tired, sick, etc.). This is why one grumpy person can ruin the mood of a group, the lower vibes are messin' with the high vibe energy in the room.
I have been on a serious learning path with depression for years. Never being officially diagnosed I had no clue what depression even was. Now, I am still learning but I at least have a basic understanding of it, I have a love for the process (even though I forget this love every time I'm in it), and I know that there will be many more chances to learn from this thing called depression.
While it is my goal to feel good as much as I possibly can, it's near impossible to ALWAYS feel good and I logically know this, but life doesn't pause simply because I am feeling down. When I get a little funky (low-vibey), I tend to forget that it is simply part of the process. I used to try and dig in, try to figure out what caused this "slide", feeling that if I could find the source I could somehow remove it and therefore remove the depression but I have since learned that there is no one source. I can be triggered by other low-vibe people or conversations, by low quality foods, and by low-vibe media, and by a general lack of self-care. So instead of trying to bring even more focus to this feeling that I no longer want, I have instead chosen to take it easy and sink into some self-love.
As soon as I notice my low vibes I try to muster up some joy or simply find a way to play. Doing anything, big or small, that raises my vibes will help me to start making my way back. The more I practice this, the faster I am able to recognize the funky feelings, create new vibes, and return to love. This work has allowed me to move through depression in a way that I have never moved before. Below is my current framework for climbing out of a funk but know there is also work with professionals (spiritual, holistic, & health) being done too.
Clues my vibes are lowering:
- Space is beginning to get cluttered (or is already a hot mess).
- Clothes and dishes are piling up.
- Fridge is lacking healthy foods.
- Feeling exhausted, shitty sleep.
- Binges (sleep, Netflix, sugar, etc)
- Annoyed by others easily.
- Negative Hamster Wheel - where my thoughts get stuck on the negative.
Instant high vibe activities:
- Meditation is the best activity there is to change your vibrations. Most of the time this actually neutralizes my thoughts, feelings, and vibrations allowing some peace.
- Put on my orange Rainbow OPTX Sunglasses - color therapy :)
- Create Your Own Joy playlist + Dancing
- Make and eat a healthy meal.
- Play!! Swings, skateboards, cards, games, Coco, handstands. Just play!!
- Plan my next few days/work week/bullet journal.
- Clean my house.
- Take a walk.
- Get in water.
- Plants/feet in the dirt/sit in the sun.
- Yin Yoga
Activities to help maintain these vibes:
- Meal prepping
- Bullet Journaling weekly/monthly intentions/goals/tasks.
- Nurturing Coco
- Regularly getting out into nature.
- Self Care/Sleep/Water
- Regular play dates with friends.
- Bring focus to the lower three chakras.
- Be creative, somehow.
- Self Love - Remembering that I am perfect and I am love.
Remember, that this is my personal experience. I am at this point after almost two years of diligently working to understand these emotions. I have done some work to get here and had lots of help along the way. If you take anything from this, I hope you know that you are not alone and that many have successfully found peace and joy right along side depression. Again, I will use the reminder of the moon to help explain how absolutely normal this is...